Rainbow Children’s Heart Institute has state-of-the-art technology for cardiac catheterizations in patients with congenital heart defects. The advanced catheterization lab is useful in providing information of the complex congenital and structural heart defects.
Diagnostic Catheterization: Children with complex heart diseases, assessment of pulmonary pressures and young adults with congenital heart diseases can be evaluated completely in this lab. This advanced cardiac catheterization is equipped with nitric oxide to assess the pulmonary vascular resistance reversibility testing.
Therapeutic Procedures: The facility supports all kinds of interventional cardiac procedures. Transcatheter treatment of congenital and structural heart defects in young adults is the major part of the work by the expertise. Various cardiac interventional procedures include:
- Device closure of ASD (Atrial Septal Defects), PDA (Patent ductus Arteriosus), VSD (ventricular septal defects) [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuV1k3I7Apw]
- Balloon dilation for pulmonary stenosis, aortic stenosis and mitral stenosis
- Stenting of Coarctation of aorta and pulmonary artery stenosis
- Coil or device closure of fistula, collaterals and other unwanted channels
- Transcatheter closure of the paravalvular leak
- Transcatheter pulmonary valve implantation
- Neonatal cardiac interventions: e.g. pulmonary valve perforation, stenting of PDA and emergency balloon dilation of blocked valves.